PMBOK 6th edition by PMI
PMBOK 6 for PMP Exam Preparation – Changes Introduced by PMI are quite interesting and essential. PMBOK 6 Guide for those who already completed PMBOK 5 Training and stepping up to PMBOK 6th edition. From PMBOK5 to PMBOK6, there are quite a few changes to digest. This is applicable for both PMP & CAPM exam takers.
PMBOK 6 for PMP Exam Preparation vital changes:
#1. New Chapter Introduced.
- “The Role of Project Manager” – Emphasis on Project Manager Daily Functions
#2. Couple of Chapters were Renamed.
- Time Management became Schedule Management
- Human Resource Management became Resource Management
#3. Few New Processes Got Added.
- Integration Management & Executing Process Group: Manage Project Knowledge
- Risk Management & Executing Process Group: Implement Risk Response
- Resource Management & Monitoring & Controlling Group: Control Resources
#4. Some of Existing Process were Renamed.
- Performa Quality Assurance became Manage Quality
- Plan Human Resource Management became Plan Resource Management
- Control Communications became Monitor Communications
- Control Risks became Monitor Risks
- Plan Stakeholder Management became Plan Stakeholder Engagement
- Control Stakeholder Engagement became Monitor Stakeholder Engagement
#5. Basic betterment in terms of terminology.
- An Increased Glossary Section with more additions including Agile Terminology as well.
- For example: Emotional Intelligence, Master Schedule, Project Team Directory…
#6. New Section on Agile Introduced for First time.
- As more and more organizations are moving towards Agile & Scrum variants of Implementation, PMI has updated its guide to project management inline to the same. This new section comes with close to 100 pages, 6 chapters & one Call to Action request by PMI from fellow Agile & Scrum practitioners to provide feedback.
#7. PMBOK is broken into multiple sections.
- Part 1: A guide to the Project Management Body of knowledge
- Part 2: The Standard for Project Management
- Part 3: Agile Practice Guide
Note to Exam Takers on PMBOK 6th Edition:
PMI offers multiple credentials which are dependent on the PMBOK guide. Such as PMP®, CAPM®. New edition introduced by PMI, the PMBOK 6th Edition has impact on both the exams. Here are the expected changes in the exam.
PMP Exam Takers:
People taking up the PMP Certification Exam are supposed to prepare based on the 6th edition since the exam will be updated in line to the new terms, terminology & adaptations of context from the processes defined in the 6th edition. Although, it is not a major change in terms of exam for PMP exam, since majority of questions are always scenario based for PMP.
CAPM Exam Takers:
People taking up CAPM Certification exam, need to take in detail understanding and hop on to learning the 6th edition in great length, especially on the ITTO’s. Since the CAPM exam is primarily focuses on the ITTO’s (Inputs, Tools & Techniques, Outputs).
Special Consideration on Agile for Exam:
- Will the PMP exam consists of Agile related questions? No. PMI has clarified the same that the exam will be based only on the PMI PMBOK guide.
GlobalSkillup™ (Since 2013) is worldwide popular destination for Management Certifications. 12,000+ Management Leaders benefited with GlobalSkillup™ Consulting, Coaching and Training Programs.
Popular Management Certifications offered include PMP, PgMP, PfMP, CAPM, CSM, PRINCE2, PMI-ACP, SIX SIGMA, ITIL, Lean, Kanban, Agile, Scrum, DevOps.